cigarettes are one of the commodities that are very dangerous for health, but are sold freely and can be obtained easily.
Not only can it be obtained easily, according to data from the Indonesian Association of Public Health Experts or IAKMI, 51.1 percent of Indonesians are active smokers. This is the highest number in Southeast Asia.
Smoking itself has been proven to cause several dangerous diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, heart attacks, and many other diseases. This is because cigarettes contain dangerous chemicals such as nicotine, tar, cyanide, benzene, cadmium, methanol, ammonia, arsenic, and carbon monoxide.
This is what makes people want to stop smoking, and look for effective smoking cessation methods. How not, the dangers of smoking risk lurking you in the future so that the way to stop smoking must be done immediately.
If you want to quit smoking, here are some ways to stop smoking that can be taken. There are various ways to stop smoking, but the key to returning to your own awareness is to immediately abandon this dangerous habit.
How to stop smoking using nicotine replacement products
There are several products that are intentionally intended to be a substitute for cigarettes. These various products are referred to as Nicotine Replacement Therapy or NRT, which you rarely get freely. Because you need to go to a therapy session at a psychiatrist or professional in the field to get this product according to the prescribed dosage.
The following are ways to stop smoking by using cigarette substitute products that can be chosen.
Suction tablets consumed by placing them inside the cheeks
Sublingual tablets are consumed by placing them under the tongue
Nicotine replacement inhaler
Transdermal or nicotine patches attached to the back or upper body
nasal or mouth spray
How to stop smoking naturally
Here are some tips that you can apply as a natural way to stop smoking.
1. Find a new hobby that suits your passion. This will help divert your mind from being tempted by cigarettes
2. Look for words that can be "automatic suggestions" when you will be tempted by cigarettes. For example "if I'm tempted, when do I stop?" or as simple as, "I don't smoke".
3. Reduce caffeine intake, such as from coffee. Because caffeine will be twice as effective when nicotine is reduced. Well, the effect of caffeine that keeps you awake will tempt you to smoke.
4. Avoid people who smoke and listen to the advice of people who contra for you to smoke
5. Looking for professional help like a psychiatrist, because cigarette addiction is usually a psychological addiction. This is an addiction where you are familiar with his smoking behavior, more than just nicotine addiction but the daily habits of cigarettes in it. This should be handled professionally to know your triggers and urge to smoke.
How to stop smoking gradually
To stop smoking, there are two methods that can be used, namely how to stop smoking suddenly or in western culture called "Cold Turkey," and how to stop smoking gradually. The following tips and how to stop smoking gradually.
1. Determine how long you will take this stepwise method, and commit to your decision. For example, if you want to gradually stop in 3 weeks, then mark your calendar and don't get to the date where you should have stopped, but you still touch the cigarette.
2. Start on a day that is not too busy, not potentially stressful, or during holidays. If you start gradually to stop smoking on a Monday full of deadlines, you will be tempted to smoke again.
3. Specify how many cigarettes you reduce. This determination is quite simple. For example, one cigarette in one day, or one stick for two days.
The number of cigarettes certainly must be reduced from time to time, where at the end of the deadline to stop smoking, you must really stop. For example, the first week 7 stems a week, the second week 3 stems, the third week 1 stem, the next week stops completely.
4. Combine this gradual method of quitting smoking with counseling to a professional psychiatrist, or to your close friends who contradict your smoking habits. This will give you more encouragement to stop the spirit.
Permanent smoking cessation: MOTIVATION
As has become an open secret, stopping smoking is not an easy matter. There are many ways to stop smoking, but that doesn't mean this is easy to do.
It is undeniable, to take a natural and fast way to stop smoking, only one key, namely motivation.
Motivation to stop smoking must be there long before you really stop. Because this reason will later prevent you from consuming cigarettes again. Of course the reasons for quitting smoking are very many, especially about health. But what you have to think more about is the health of people who are close to you and your loved ones, which is certainly exposed to the adverse effects of smoking passively.
It will be very painful if your loved one has certain diseases because of your actions. In addition, smoking alone has a long-term adverse effect. Quitting smoking will be good in the future, because who knows you will become the backbone of the family and will be very detrimental to your family if you are sick of cigarettes.
So make a list of reasons that can change your life when you try to quit. Make specific or simple reasons like "I want to stop smoking so I'm not tired when playing futsal with children", or "I want to stop smoking so that I don't waste my time accompanying my wife who likes hiking," and many other reasons.
So determine your most powerful and potentially life-changing motivation to quit smoking.